Philpot Law Firm, PA
EspaƱol
Need Help? Call Us Now
866-853-3497 864-990-0226
View Our Practice Areas

Dangers of highway construction zones

Many construction workers are seriously injured or killed while working in highway construction zones every year, both in South Carolina as well as in the rest of the country. In order to combat the high numbers of deaths and injuries, states utilize reduced speed limits and increased penalties for motorists who speed through these zones.

Despite these efforts, construction workers continue to be killed or injured in work zones across the nation. Between the years of 2003 and 2010, 962 workers were killed, 87 percent of them while working within the construction zones. The remaining 13 percent were killed while driving through the zone, most often in collisions with other vehicles traveling in the same direction as the equipment or vehicles on which the workers were riding or within which they were driving.

A majority of the fatalities occur when workers are struck by motor vehicles in the construction zone. Workers are also killed by equipment overturns, falling off of equipment on which they are riding and as a result of collisions with other vehicles or equipment within the zones. Highway construction zones pose significant safety hazards to the people who are employed to work within them.

Workers who are seriously injured in a pedestrian accident while working may be able to recover compensation through filing workers' compensation claims. South Carolina, like all other states, mandates employers provide such coverage to compensate workers in the event of a workplace accident. Through a claim, workers may be able to have their medical and rehabilitation expenses paid. In the event a serious accident leaves the worker unable to continue working, he or she may also be able to receive monthly workers' compensation disability payments to replace a percentage of the lost income. When workers are killed, their families may receive reasonable funeral and burial expenses in addition to other benefits.

Source: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, "Highway Work Zone Safety", accessed on Jan. 11, 2015

Philpot Law Firm, PA
115 Broadus Ave.
Greenville, SC 29601

Toll Free: 866-853-3497
Toll Free: 866-853-3497
Phone: 864-990-0226
Phone: 864-990-0226
Fax: 864-242-1566
Map & Directions
Greenville Law Office Map

Office Map
Review Us